Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Something I don't quite get from Warhammer lately

The more I think about it, the less I get it.

You must have already read tons of stuff about this of course, but I also wanted to give you my opinion on what is happening around tabletop wargames and in particular about the death of Warhammer Fantasy Battles and the birth of Warhammer Age of Sigmar.

Basically Warhammer Fantasy as a miniature game has been selling very badly for years and years, and Games Workshop had to do something about it. Finally, instead of releasing 9th edition, they decided to make huge changes to their lore, progress the background of the game and tell the story of a classic cataclysm so that they can redo the world and create a new game quite different to what WHB was before. Well, I can't deny that it's a way of dealing with the problem. Personally, you may like it more or less, but at least Games Workshop is not resting on its laurels and decided to do something about it. Quite radical, it seems.

So up to here everything makes sense to me.

And then this happens, and I get lost completely. At the same time Games Workshop is releasing Age of Sigmar, we are all teased by the soon to be released videogame Total War: Warhammer.

In this game we can control first hand and live the visual nerdgasm that is a Warhammer battle. It's a mine for any fantasy modelling fan, especially if you like Warhammer (hey! that would be me!). But... didn't we just destroy the old Warhammer world? What's the point in releasing such a spectacular game using the Old World as background when you just destroyed it?

When I see these Total War: Warhammer videos I feel a massive urge to go buy boxes and boxes of the old Warhammer and prepare dioramas, conversions, cool ideas for Golden Demon... it's a nerd dream come true! An infinity of visual material to indulge yourself. I can't stop watching these videos!

But wait! Hold your horses! Games Workshop is no longer selling Warhammer Fantasy Battles!

I must be stupid because I don't get anything.

3 comments:

Paradox0n said...

And I thought I am the only one :) I can feel the confusion and I also don't get it. This game is the perfect advertisement for WHFB. But since it is no longer on the market, the effect will just be zero. Only if the campaign switches to End Times and you can play the fall and rise of the worlds it would make sense.

PaintingBuddha said...

I felt EXACTLY the same way, Raffa.

Now having said that, development of computer games such as Total War takes years - and depending on when they closed the deal, AoS may or may not have been on the radar yet.

Historically, any royalty based use of GW IP has always been disconnected from GW's core business (FFG et al, maybe with the exception of Dawn of War, cause's if there's one constant in 40k is that there's only war. :D)

What I don't get about AoS is the pricing of their models. AoS Box? Incredible value. I felt like they finally found a way to adjust their pricing to make a game that is clearly targeted at new hobbyists with this new release. And then the next 5(!) Sigmarines come out at 40€. Terminator pricing. At that point I thought: Oh frack, AoS is already dead again.

And now they release a box of 20 plastic miniatures for what, 45/50€? 4 times the amount of minis for 10% more of the price of 5 Sigmarines? Where is the consistency in this? Can someone please tell me what's going on?

HELP :D

Anonymous said...

It's easy, when you see Games Workshop label? Turn 180 and walk away. These morons only understand one thing, money. Don't give a mismanaged foolish company your money, because then they think its okay to be mismanaged and foolish and will continue to do so. Either they pull out of the tailspin by unanimously pulling their heads out from each others collective asses, or they company goes under.
This is the way of things. But you (or those if not you personally) as a customer who keeps paying them and going back, are the root of the problem.